My wife Sue and I have been proud supporters of the GWT for 10 years, despite our association beginning in sad circumstances. In 2008 our daughter Kate, a Captain in the Royal Artillery, was serving in the Gurkha Battle Group in Afghanistan with 29 Commando Regiment Ra. She was working as a Fire Support Team Commander, leading a team in support of an infantry company from The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment(PWRR). They were working out of a Warrior armoured personnel carrier. Having been deployed on an operation for a few days, supported by a sniper team from 2RGR, the company was returning to base and Kate was giving a lift in her Warrior to four snipers, of whom three were from 2RGR: Colour Sergeant Krishna Dura and Riflemen Kushal Limbu and Vishal Rai. Their Warrior was hit by an IED estimated to weigh around 50kg. Tragically, CSgt Dura was killed. Kushal, Vishal, Cpl Kelly (one of the PWRR snipers) and Kate were all injured. Back in England Kate, Kushal and Vishal were on the same ward in Selly Oak hospital; Cpl Kelly was fortunately discharged with minor injuries. After the extent of her injuries was explained to her, Kate decided to have her left leg amputated. Kushal had the dreadful misfortune to develop an infection, which meant that he had to have both his legs amputated some two weeks later. It is very humbling to try to comfort such a proud young soldier, and to assure him that there is no shame in weeping. We saw a lot of them and their families and have never, before or since, met people with such natural, quiet courtesy and charming manners. They brought in food which they had cooked - it smelled absolutely wonderful! They always offered some to Kate, who unfortunately was on such a cocktail of drugs that she didn't dare risk her stomach, to her great regret. Before she started using crutches Kate hopped round the ward like a kangaroo on speed. She overdid it one day and fainted - Kushal came to the rescue, shouting "Nurse, nurse, Mam's fallen on her face". He made a really good recovery and went on to win gold, silver and bronze medals at several Invictus Games. We subsequently visited the National Memorial Arboretum and found Krishna Dura's name on the Wall of Honour. I took a photo of it which I sent to the CO of 2RGR to pass on to his family, and received from him a photo of Krishna's plaque in their memorial garden in Brunei. Our last contact with them was after the end of their Afghan tour, at their campaign medals parade at their Folkestone HQ. Kate had already received her medal at 29 Commando's parade in Plymouth, but she and her team were invited to 2RGR's parade and we had the great pleasure and honour of being invited as well. We were delighted to see Kushal, Vishal and their families again, and to meet more of 2RGR's officers and man. I particularly remember a formidable sergeant who refused to believe that I didn't want any more beer. I didn't want to get into an argument with him! We feel truly honoured by our association with 2RGR and will undoubtedly continue to support the GWT. We feel that the Gurkhas are people who thoroughly deserve all the help that we can give them. I am emailing separately photos of: CSgt Dura's name on the Wall of Honour at the National Memorial Arboretum My wife Sue with Vishal and Kushal at Folkestone Kushal with his wife Angela.
Don Philp

Similar Posts

I was aware of the Gurkhas & their reputation for service, loyalty & bravery from my time in the WRAC TA. It wasn't until I went to Sandhurst two years ago for the ACF IOT course that I met any Gurkha soldiers. I found them very professional & charming. We were then hit by the pandemic & I saw the Gurkhas testing people & giving vaccine jabs in this country. When I read about the effects of Covid in Nepal I felt such sympathy for these men who were giving jabs here whilst their own families were dying in Nepal as the country couldn't afford the vaccines. I felt I had to do something. I can't influence this Government myself but I can give something to try to help even a little. I have also been telling family, friends & colleagues in the hope that they may also give to the GWT. I feel that we owe the Ghurkas so much for their amazing loyalty to this country & their 13 VCs that it's the least we should be doing for them.
Helen Forster
Gurkhas have been an important part of my family’s life. Their training depot had been moved to Sungei Patani in Northern Malaya, a few miles from Sungei Toh Pawang estate, after Indian Independence in 1947, when the Brigade was split between the Indian and British armies. The depot received the young men who had passed the extremely competitive selection process and turned them into soldiers. St Philip and St James’ church, which we attended every Sunday evening, was next to the depot and our services took place to the background of young recruits running, marching or just chatting. The first school I attended was an Army infants’ school next to the parade ground, and lessons echoed to shouted drill instructions. Gurkhas occupy a special place in the British Army and wider society. Nepal has never been part of the British Empire, and its citizens who chose to join the British Army did so without their families. Until recently they used to return to Nepal at the end of their service as honoured pensioners. Now they have been given the right to settle in the UK, as is right, but their service to Britain has always been given freely and voluntarily. This has been the case since they were first invited to do so at the end of a battle with the British Indian Army in the mid-19th C. In the disaster of Singapore in 1941 the Gurkhas were the only part of the Indian Army contingent not to suffer wholesale desertions, and they suffered badly at the hands of the Japanese army. In the Malayan Emergency they constituted a high proportion of the Commonwealth forces and proved very skilled at jungle warfare, particularly ambushes, which would be set for hours at a time, requiring soldiers to lie still and silent for all that time. They were fearless and lethal in close quarters combat, using their traditional kukri weapon- half knife, half machete. The knowledge that a Gurkha battalion was in the area was by 1955 a powerful incentive to defect for the sometimes demoralised MRLA fighters. As local Europeans our family would always be invited to the two parades which marked the end of the training for Gurkha recruits at the Depot. These were Beating the Retreat and the Passing out Parade. Beating the Retreat is a traditional British Army ritual, commemorating the days when a regiment’s standard was paraded in front of it at sunset so that the soldiers could see it before nightfall. The recruits would parade in their companies behind their British officers in white uniforms and the Depot band, including bagpipes (the Gurkhas had been taught to play the pipes by the Highlanders they had first fought against) as the sun went down. The next morning, invited guests took their seats at dawn for the Passing out Parade and the recruits would march out of the dawning sunrise, using the Light Infantry quick march they have always used as British troops, and march past a senior officer who had been invited to take the salute. This was the climax of their training and a huge moment for their British officers, this morning dressed in khaki drill shirts and enormous shorts. Legend had it that the shorts would be starched and ironed the previous evening by their batmen and placed standing in the corner of the officer’s bedroom. He would then step into them the following morn. As the British Army has contracted, the numbers of Gurkhas have diminished, until now there are only two infantry battalions, together with signals, logistics and engineers units. Still the passion and commitment of these soldiers burns as brightly as ever, and the competition to get into the British Army is as tough as ever. Today, recruit selection in Nepal is held jointly with the Singapore Police Force, whose Gurkha Contingent performs guard functions and acts as an emergency reserve in case of civil unrest. And as the British Army has struggled to recruit even the limited number of soldiers it now needs; a third battalion of Gurkhas has been raised. It was our privilege as a family in 1996 to welcome three young Gurkha soldiers to our house for lunch when they were stationed as part of a reinforcement Company filling manpower gaps in a British regiment stationed near our home. Immaculately dressed, polite and cheerful, they made a fuss of our young children and gave Tom (aged 6) a present of a kukri, the curved knife/machete which is their symbol. He was well impressed, and for a long time there were carefully controlled viewings and handlings of the kukri, along the lines of their demonstrations. They taught him their war-cry, too: “Ayo Gurkhali!”- The Gurkhas are coming.
Roland Crooke