My husband was a young doctor during the war 1939 - 1945 and was stationed in Burma. He had to treat many Gurkhas in very primitive surroundings and he told me he had NEVER met so many brave men, some very gravely wounded.

Similar Posts

My wife Sue and I have been proud supporters of the GWT for 10 years, despite our association beginning in sad circumstances. In 2008 our daughter Kate, a Captain in the Royal Artillery, was serving in the Gurkha Battle Group in Afghanistan with 29 Commando Regiment Ra. She was working as a Fire Support Team Commander, leading a team in support of an infantry company from The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment(PWRR). They were working out of a Warrior armoured personnel carrier. Having been deployed on an operation for a few days, supported by a sniper team from 2RGR, the company was returning to base and Kate was giving a lift in her Warrior to four snipers, of whom three were from 2RGR: Colour Sergeant Krishna Dura and Riflemen Kushal Limbu and Vishal Rai. Their Warrior was hit by an IED estimated to weigh around 50kg. Tragically, CSgt Dura was killed. Kushal, Vishal, Cpl Kelly (one of the PWRR snipers) and Kate were all injured. Back in England Kate, Kushal and Vishal were on the same ward in Selly Oak hospital; Cpl Kelly was fortunately discharged with minor injuries. After the extent of her injuries was explained to her, Kate decided to have her left leg amputated. Kushal had the dreadful misfortune to develop an infection, which meant that he had to have both his legs amputated some two weeks later. It is very humbling to try to comfort such a proud young soldier, and to assure him that there is no shame in weeping. We saw a lot of them and their families and have never, before or since, met people with such natural, quiet courtesy and charming manners. They brought in food which they had cooked - it smelled absolutely wonderful! They always offered some to Kate, who unfortunately was on such a cocktail of drugs that she didn't dare risk her stomach, to her great regret. Before she started using crutches Kate hopped round the ward like a kangaroo on speed. She overdid it one day and fainted - Kushal came to the rescue, shouting "Nurse, nurse, Mam's fallen on her face". He made a really good recovery and went on to win gold, silver and bronze medals at several Invictus Games. We subsequently visited the National Memorial Arboretum and found Krishna Dura's name on the Wall of Honour. I took a photo of it which I sent to the CO of 2RGR to pass on to his family, and received from him a photo of Krishna's plaque in their memorial garden in Brunei. Our last contact with them was after the end of their Afghan tour, at their campaign medals parade at their Folkestone HQ. Kate had already received her medal at 29 Commando's parade in Plymouth, but she and her team were invited to 2RGR's parade and we had the great pleasure and honour of being invited as well. We were delighted to see Kushal, Vishal and their families again, and to meet more of 2RGR's officers and man. I particularly remember a formidable sergeant who refused to believe that I didn't want any more beer. I didn't want to get into an argument with him! We feel truly honoured by our association with 2RGR and will undoubtedly continue to support the GWT. We feel that the Gurkhas are people who thoroughly deserve all the help that we can give them. I am emailing separately photos of: CSgt Dura's name on the Wall of Honour at the National Memorial Arboretum My wife Sue with Vishal and Kushal at Folkestone Kushal with his wife Angela.
Don Philp
In the latest issue of the magazine, you mentioned that you wanted to know why certain people supported the Gurkhas. In my case I support them because I spent my National Service years, with the Sirmoor Rifles....the 2/2 Gurkha King Edward Vll Gurkha Rifles from 1951to 1953, during the Malaysian Emergency. My commanding officer was Lt. Col Cruickshank, very experienced Gurkha officer, who had spent many years with them, fighting on the North West Frontier, Afghanistan, and many other theatres of war. On arrival at the depot in lpoh, he welcomed me to the 2/2nd and gave me three invaluable pieces of advice Learn their language, eat their food, and respect their religion. These three pieces of advice were the best I could have received. I learned their Gurkhali language, and could speak pretty fluently. I ate their food, and often helped in decapitating the goats, with the company cook, and I respected their religion in every way. I ate food with them, often crouching on the ground, and only ate with my fingers, which was their custom. Because of my respect and action, they accepted me fully, and I almost became a Gurkha myself. Although I was REME, attached to "B" company, there was only one other white soldier with me. During my time with the 2/2nd, I was lucky enough to spend a limited time, with Lt.Col. Cruickshank on certain operations, even sharing a meal with him, and a beer! I also had the honour of meeting with Sir Gerald Templar on one operation. My experience living with the Gurkhas, and engaging in operations with them, which I enjoyed so much, prompted me to write a book, which was published by Austin McAuley of London in 2014. The book gives a very interesting, truthful account of these Gurkha soldiers, and my relationship with them. I AM NOW EIGHTY SIX YEARS OF AGE,WITH VERY FOND MEMORIES OF THE 2/2ND KING EDWARD SEVENTH OWN GURKHA RIFLES.
Paul Richards